Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Method of Loci (Mind Palace Technique)

"Get out. I need to go to my mind palace." If you've seen Season 2 of Sherlock, you might remember this scene. If you've read Hounds of Baskerville, you may also recall the use of this particular technique. Without giving away any spoilers, I'll say this: Sherlock says this as he tries to recall something from his memory. He is here referring to the method of loci, which is basically a visual mind map, if you will, in which information is stored. This memory technique is for the visually-inclined individuals.
     The method of loci is best used for remembering lists rather than processes. In other words, it is more effective in memorizing the types of continental winds than exactly how the winds are formed. I enjoy this memory technique, although I sometimes have trouble focusing after I exit my memory palace.
     If you'd like to give Sherlock's method a try, there are various professional sites you can seek. There were no books at my library dedicated solely to this technique, so I conducted a Google search.
     There are better sites for the actual history and further detail regarding the method of loci, but this Howcast video concisely and visually explains the execution. If you have a deeper interest, I encourage you to research this topic after viewing the video to your left.

I do not own BBC Sherlock, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works, or Howcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment